So as my first Mother’s Day since losing mam to cancer draws to close, I thought I’d just take a bit of time to reflect on some stuff. I have to confess that I found today a lot harder than I thought I would, with tears flowing freely as my kids jumped on their mammy this morning, and then again in church as we sang ‘Faithful One’ and I recalled just how faithful God has been to me since mam died in October.
Truth is that God blessed me with a fantastic mother for 33 years of my life, and while the pain of her death still hits me for six at times, I thank God for the gospel guarantee that she’s chillin’ with Jesus in paradise right now. I also thank God for the inspiring example of faith, grace and eternal hope that mam was and for the numerous invaluable lessons that she taught me throughout my life. I was especially encouraged recently as I read Proverbs 1v8-9:
“Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.”
I suppose the best way to honour and remember my mam is to never forget the things that she taught me by both her words and her life:
- That God is completely good, even when things like cancer enter the equation.
- That the Bible is God’s Word and completely trustworthy.
- That prayer is both powerful and crucial.
- That the love of Christ is irresistible.
- That we can ALWAYS come back to the cross and find grace.
- That no one is beyond the merciful reach of God.
- That family is special.
- That commitment to local church is important.
- That creation reveals the majesty of God in a profound way.
- That heaven is a reality that becomes more and more visible the closer that death gets.
- That in Jesus we always have a reason to smile, to sing and to celebrate.
She obviously taught me loads of other cool stuff too, but that’s what comes to mind tonight. I thought I’d finish off by posting a rap that I performed in church this morning. It was written right in the middle of mam’s battle with cancer and is dedicated to her and to the two other precious girls in my life, for whom I am incredibly grateful to God for, my wife and my daughter.
Thank you Jesus for my mam and my girls!
Truemcee: My Girls