Oh my days! What has this week been all about?!!
It’s been so ridiculously hard that it borders on hilarious! (Hear me right – it hasn’t been cataclysmic – just a tough week to endure!) However, God in His grace has been teaching me a very simple yet powerful truth. I’ll get to that in a bit. But first things first, check out some of the stuff that’s happened this week:
- Strong winds ripped the facia and guttering off the front of my house!
- Michelle lost her mobile phone (her primary means of contact with the outside world).
- Our washing machine decided to burst a pipe and flood the utility room in the middle of the night.
- Insane winds ripped tiles and felt off my roof and generally left a hole in it!
- The vet told us that Boaz’ tumour is too big too operate on. He’s now a canine junkie on 14 tablets a day. If that fails – our faithful friend is gonna die soon.
- Our car died in Pontypool Town Centre (gearbox failure again!) We now have 4 kids and no car!!
- I slipped horribly in torrential rain whilst carrying my baby girl, Anastasia, sending her somersaulting across the car park (in her car seat)! Praise God she was OK, but I was REALLY shaken up!!
And that wasn’t all of it! There loads of other stuff that involved cleaning up vast quantities of urine and pooh…and don’t get me started on dealing with the insurance people!!
But here’s why I’m blogging about it – in the midst of all this craziness, God has really ministered to me and Michelle . If I could sum-up the lesson in a nut-shell it would be this – His grace is sufficient. The truth is that while I would readily admit that God is all I truly need to be happy, satisfied and safe – the reality is that I turn to so many other sources for satisfaction, happiness and ‘salvation.’ It was these issues that I feel have been exposed by what we’ve gone through this week. Allow me to explain:
- Damage to the house: COMFORT – Do we take comfort for granted? Where do we turn for shelter?
- Lost Phone: RELATIONSHIP – are human relationships more important to us than relationship with God?
- Broken Washing Machine: CLEANLINESS – Am I more concerned about clean clothes than the righteous robes that Jesus offers?
- Dying Dog: SECURITY – is my home safe cos we’ve got a 7 stone dog or because God is our ultimate protector?
- R.I.P Car: INDEPENDENCE – We like to think that we can go wherever, whenever we’d like, but our destiny is in God’s hands.
- Falling with my daughter: FALLIBILITY – While it offends my pride – I’m not Superman! In my own strength I can and will let my family down.
In all these things the ugly presence of sin in my life has been brutally laid bare. However, I have also seen the beauty of God’s grace in a fresh way too! Without Him I have nothing. With Him I truly have all I need.
To some this might have been considered a week from hell. However, God has been so present and so kind in the midst of it that I would argue that it’s actually a week from heaven. That’s the awesome thing about the gospel – it takes difficult, dark and desperate situations and totally transforms them for the glory of God.
I end this week humbled and weak, but also joyful and grateful for grace.
“[Jesus] said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
(2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ESV)