Last week I posted a blog introducing my friend, Jason Bushell, who works for IJM in Cardiff. Well, today I received a letter and some posters from Jason that he has asked me to share with you regarding an event he is organising in Cardiff next week. So here ya go…
“As International Justice Mission representative in Wales I am writing to inform you of the Stand4Freedom event next Wednesday 9th April.
It is being organized by IJM Cardiff Student Justice Community, a group of Cardiff University students formed when they heard about the extent of modern day slavery and the plague of everyday violence that is devastating the developing world.
* Nearly 30 million men, women and children are currently held in slavery;
* Nearly 2 million children are exploited in the commercial sex trade;
* 1 in 5 women will be a victim of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime.
The poor are so vulnerable because their justice systems – police, courts and laws – don’t protect them from violent people. Indeed “the law is paralyzed” and “the wicked surround the righteous” [Hab.1:4]
Convicted by God’s call on His children to “seek justice, correct oppression”[Is. 1:17] these students have determined to act. When they Stand4Freedom next Wednesday they will be joining thousands around the world http://www.stand-for-freedom.com/ to give a human face to the unnoticed millions. They hope to mobilise Cardiff to do something now to end it.
Specifically their goal is to fund one rescue mission (£3,000).
We ask for your support. Would you please…
· mention the event in your announcements tomorrow;
· encourage your congregation to visit the stands and spread the word (details of event and locations in attached poster/slide); and
· offer them the opportunity to contribute to help fund a rescue mission.
I hope that Cardiff churches will also respond in some way to support the efforts of these students who are stepping out in faith, most of them for the first time.
Many thanks for your support.