I had a great time kicking through piles of crisp brown leaves with the twins outside school this morning.
Autumn is truly here and I’m buzzin cos it’s my favourite season.
The temperature gets cooler.
The trees dramatically change colour.
But it’s also sobering.
Perhaps more than any other season, Autumn reminds us that nothing stays the same. Seasons come and go. Things burst into life. Things grow. Things die. Perhaps I’m especially aware of the reality of ‘change’ right now as things seem to be changing all around me. I’ve recently found myself in the following situations:
- Gathering with our church family and sharing about some unexpected changes within our leadership team.
- Hooking up with friends from around South Wales who for various reasons are feeling unsettled by what’s currently going on in their local churches.
- Speaking to the local U9 football team and their parents and explaining my reasons for why the time has come for me to step back and hand over the running of the team to another coach.
- Looking at my 4 kids and it dawning on me how scarily quickly they all seem to be growing up.
- Going to hospital, looking at an X-ray of my mashed-up ankle and being told in no uncertain terms by a podiatrist that my bones are knackered and they ain’t gonna get better with age!
- Meeting with the committee members of a gospel project that I’m involved with, agreeing that the ministry in its current form has run its course and that a radical overhaul is in order.
- Sitting down and drinking coffee with a friend who I have served alongside for several years and concluding that the time is now right for him to move on to new things.
- Standing at the side of a grave comforting a dear friend who has just lost her mother.
Like I said, nothing stays the same.
Truth is, life is unstable.
Which has caused me to turn to the only place where we can truly find security and stability in transient times – and that place is in the living God and in His Word.
“For I the Lord do not change” (Malachi 3 v 6)
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13 v 8)
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” (James 1 v 17)
“The grass withers, the flower fades
when the breath of the Lord blows on it;
surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever.” (Isaiah 40 v 7-8)
Unlike the trees and unlike the seasons, God NEVER changes. This is such good news!
God’s nature doesn’t change. He is unchangingly good, gracious, merciful, just, holy, patient, sovereign and powerful.
God’s promises are as good as kept. They are yes and amen in Jesus.
God’s plans will stand. Nothing and no one can stand in His way. In fact, God alone can take our adverse circumstances and situations and use them to accomplish His purposes.
God’s victory cannot be reversed. Jesus died. Jesus rose. Sin was buried. Satan was defeated. Death had its teeth ripped out. The Holy Spirit has been poured out. Jesus is coming back for His bride and heaven awaits.
So as the seasons change.
As the autumn leaves continue to fall around us.
As we are reminded that nothing of this world stays the same, let’s hold fast to Jesus.
After all, if Jesus truly is “the beginning and the end” then surely it makes sense to trust Him with the bit in the middle too!